Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Life Captured in Seconds

Having the assignment of measuring the longest shot in a music video would seem to be easy. However, as I was watching a few of my favorite videos, I began to notice just how quickly shots actually do change. Often, there were two to three-second shots constantly changing scenery, atmosphere, and angles within the videos.  As I watched in awe of this discovery, I also couldn’t help but notice how much was being able to be expressed within these small glimpse’s of film. So much so, that I had gone my whole life watching these small films, being moved in one way or another emotionally, without the slightest idea that it was being done within a matter of seconds.  I realized just how much can be effectively expressed within these short segments, and how much truth and emotion can come from such simplistic and varied footage. I decided to choose the music video, “You and I (Nobody in The World)”, by John Legend. I found this video having very unique and effective close shots. The whole video is a collage of these close shots, which through their progression is able to tell a magnificent story. I felt that this really was able to bring to light the beauty and impact shots have upon making a truly effective and impactful short-film. The longest shot I found was the closing shot, lasting fifteen seconds and slowly fading into darkness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi3bc9lS3rg

No comments:

Post a Comment